PennyChuck Miller Construction is an excellent company skilled in every aspect of development and construction in the areas of commercial, retail, industrial, institutional, resort, recreation and residential real estate. You will find this company exceptionally skilled at setting expectations up front and throughout the development and construction of your project. Chuck Miller and his exceptional team deliver their scope of service on time and budget while communicating excellently throughout the entire process. You will also find Chuck Miller Construction to be an A+ customer service management resource! Enjoy your next development and/or construction project with Chuck Miller Construction!
- Doug CWe at McKibben + Cooper Architects have had the pleasure of working with Chuck Miller Construction on many projects, including single family residences, live-work townhouses, preschools, and mixed use buildings. Chuck is a leader regarding thoughtful, economical, and energy-conserving construction. We have no reservation recommending Chuck to anyone interested in a high quality construction project.
- Sandra LChuck Miller Construction built the building which includes the loft that we occupy. The energy efficiency of this 2000 sq. ft. loft is outstanding. We are currently paying $16/month level pay for gas, which includes our heating, our hot-water production and a gas range. This speaks to the quality of space and water heating equipment, insulation and window systems that have been incorporated into the unit. We are very pleased with the quality of construction and the energy efficiency of our unit.
Chuck Miller Consulting LLC is engaged in the business of construction consulting, including Business Planning and Coaching, Construction Project Management for owner-builders, and Expert Witness and Arbitration Services. Our clients are small volume builders, remodelers, and construction trade contractors; owner-builders undertaking residential or light commercial construction projects; and government licensing board, arbitrators, mediators, and attorneys specializing in construction related issues.
Business Planning and Coaching
The residential construction industry is important to the financial health of the nation. The construction industry is operates on following a specific set of plans and specifications to arrive at a desired finished product. But a survey of builder and remodeler members of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) revealed that fewer than 12 percent had a written business plan, fewer than 15 percent had written operating budgets, less than 18 percent had written mission statements, and almost 70 percent of respondents had no formal planning procedures. Maybe that’s the reason small businesses in the construction industry have the second highest 5 year failure rate of all industries.
Our Business Planning and Coaching services include:
· Working one-on-one with our clients to develop a working business plan focused on market research and analysis, product development and pricing strategy, sales and marketing strategy, operations planning, and financial forecasting and budgeting to achieve and maintain the key financial and operating ratios.
· Ongoing consulting and coaching
Construction Project Management for Owner-Builders
The U.S. Census Bureau defines Owner-built houses as houses built for owner occupancy, on the owner's land, under the supervision of the owner acting as the general contractor. These homes are: (1) in most cases built partly by the owner and partly with paid help; (2) sometimes built entirely with the employment of subcontractors; and (3) occasionally built entirely by the owner. Contractor-built Houses are all houses built for owner occupancy on the owner's land with construction under the supervision of a single general contractor. According to residential permit data from the U.S. Census Bureau, of the total number of private single family homes completed in the U.S. each year, owner-built homes account for approximately 7% and contractor-built houses account for approximately 15%. The percentages are slightly lower in the Western U.S. – approximately 5% and 10% respectively. Applying those percentages to the Ada County, Idaho, the number of owner-builders averages between 250 and 375 per year.
While being responsible for the construction of your own home can be rewarding on many levels, it is complicated, challenging and disruptive. While some of a contractor’s work is done on the job site, most of the work is planning ahead of time – so that things will go well on the job site. This includes reviewing plans to look for potential problems and the best way to get the job done; estimating the costs of materials and labor; locking in material quotes; obtaining permits and approvals; hiring, scheduling, and managing employees and subcontractors; scheduling inspections; ordering materials and scheduling deliveries; and tracking accounts payable and receivable to keep the whole thing afloat.
Based on our 50 years of construction industry experience, we can state with some degree of certainty that Murphy’s Law is alive and well on all construction sites. "Things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance." The list of potential problems is extensive for any general contractor and includes items from the trivial to the catastrophic. An owner-builder’s lack of experience in construction usually means they can expect more than the average share of surprises and problems.
For the owner-builder, problems can develop for many reasons and have a range of impact on the project, its cost and the home’s long-term value:
The better the planning, the fewer the problems and surprises.
Our Construction Project Management services include:
· Assisting our owner-builder clients with the planning and budgeting of their custom home, remodeling, or commercial construction project
· Assisting our owner-builder clients with permitting, selection of trade contractors and suppliers, and scheduling of the construction project
· Assisting our owner-builder clients with managing their budget for their construction project
· Advising our owner-builder clients on construction issues.
Expert Witness Services
Chuck Miller has almost 50 years of experience in the construction industry involving single and multi-family residential, commercial, and institutional projects across the United States. He has served the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses and the Idaho Contractors Board as an advisor and expert witness reviewing complaints against contractors and providing written opinions regarding the techniques, practices, conduct, quality of the services provided, ethical appropriateness of the client/professional relationship, and any violations of violation of public laws, ordinances or rules of State or any subdivision thereof, relevant to contracting or the Board’s rules, and code of ethics.
Our Expert Witness Services include:
· Providing expert opinion and advice on the cause of problems, how they should be fixed, and who is responsible.
|Mon:||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Tue:||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Wed:||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Thu:||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Fri:||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM|